Obesity is accumulation of excess fat in the body which may lead to negative effects on health, reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems.
A major proportion of Diabetes, Ischemic Heart Disease, Hypertension, Ischemic Stroke, Osteoarthritis, and Cancer burden may be attributed to Overweight and Obesity.
In Ayurveda, Atisthaulya (Obesity) is described as excessive accumulation of Meda (fat/adipose tissue) and Mamsa (flesh/muscle tissue) leading to flabbiness of hips, abdomen, and breast. It is considered as one of Santarpanottha Vikaras (disease due to consumption of excessive calories) in Ayurveda. Medodushti (disorders of fat metabolism) may be one of the risk factors for Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD).
- Increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat, carbohydrates
- Overeating and Irregular food habits
- Lack of Physical activities due to sedentary life style
- Genetics, endocrine disorders, Medical Reasons or Psychiatric illness
- Day - time sleeping
- Breathlessness even on little exertion / physical activity.
- Lack of interest in doing work.
- Profuse sweating with foul body odor.
- Excessive hunger.
- Feeling of tiredness.
- Excessive sleep
Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Loss and Obesity
As we grow older, it becomes even more challenging to manage your weight or lose that excess fat through a diet and exercise plan. Many of us may still choose to ignore the excessive weight. However, this is not the way it is meant to be treated. The ancient system of medicine in India – Ayurveda – helps you to lose the stubborn fat. The various natural therapies target the exercise-resistant fat based on a technique to ignite your digestive fire. The basic principles of Ayurveda are based on finding a perfect balance between the mind and the soul. When you are mindful, you are likely watchful of your weight.
Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Loss
Ayurvedic treatment for Weight Loss offered at our Ayurveda Clinic for Weight Loss is a combination of massage, lifestyle changes, and some special Ayurvedic medications. It is a natural treatment that does not involve any surgery or strict diet plans. Our weight management therapy is one of the most common reasons why people visit us at the clinic.
We recommend a four-fold approach for obesity, weight control, and weight loss: –
- Detoxifying Techniques
- Diet (has content on this been written?)
- Lifestyle Modifications
Bitumen is a rich mineral which still finds its place in Ayurveda for Weight Loss. It is a highly mineralized exudate that is found in the mountainous regions in Asia in the scorching summer and then used as a means of Weight Loss in Ayurveda.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Smart Weight Loss Tips to Remember
- Practice mindful eating: Avoid eating while watching tv or talking on the phone
- Watch the calories and not portion size of meals: Foods with low calories such as fruits and vegetables have higher water content and more fiber. On the other hand, foods like salty snacks or even some baked goods are high-on calories although they are fat-free. So, choose your foods wisely.
- Drink plenty water: It’s important to flush out the toxins
- Do not skip meals: Instead, eat every 2 to 3 hours
- Eat smartly at social events: While eating at parties or buffets, fill up your plate with salads first. This way you will end up eating lesser calories.
- Manage your stress: One of the culprits for binge eating and snacking is stress. Practice meditation, yoga or other methods to de-stress yourself.